Pregnancy and Birth is a Natural Process that many women embark through and our role with Chiropractic Care is to allow your body to adapt and function as it was designed to and support you during this important time in creating and birthing a new life.
During pregnancy, the muscle and ligament strains are very real and can be quite uncomfortable. A combination of factors may result in severe discomfort, particularly in the lower back. These include an average weight gain of 10 to 15kgs, increased stress placed on the body by the baby, and the release of hormones that soften the ligaments. More than 50% of women experience back pain during pregnancy, especially in the third trimester. Round ligament pain can occur during second trimester and can cause a sharp pain in the abdomen on either or both sides. The pain is caused by the stretching of the ligament that supports the uterus as the uterus grows.
While back pain is common when pregnant it should not be accepted as part of the process and if you are looking for an alternative to painkillers, chiropractic may be the answer for you. There is no need to put up with a sore back when pregnant.
At Blossom, our chiropractic treatment during pregnancy is adapted to the individual needs and the growth & stages of the pregnancy. We utilise a variety of techniques that are gentle and comfortable for you.
We are here to assist you every step of the way during pregnancy and postpartum.
Some of the benefits may include:
• Help you remain active throughout your pregnancy
• Prepares the pelvis for an easier pregnancy and birth by creating state of balance in the pelvic bony structure, muscles and ligaments.
• 50% of women complain of back pain during pregnancy, chiropractic may markedly reduce much of this allowing the pelvis to function correctly (1).
• Reduces tension on the ligaments that support the uterus reducing intrauterine constraint to the woman’s uterus ( a common factor in breech and malposition of babies)
• Reduces interference to the mother’s nervous system that controls all her body, organs and functions.
• Research suggests that first time mums averaged a 24% shorter labour while experienced mums had a 39% reduction in average labour time with regular chiropractic care in pregnancy (2).
For more pregnancy related resources - www.pregnancy.com.au.
(1) Back pain during pregnancy and labor Diakow PR, Gadsby TA, Gadsby JB, Gleddie JG, Leprich DJ, Scales AM. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 1991 (Feb); 14 (2): 116-118
(2) Fallon J DC. Proceedings of the World Chiropractic Congress: 1991 (pg. 24-31)